Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, March 22, 2013

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis, the "The Robin is Hangin' Out in the Tree Front of the House Looking at Me Like I am Holding up Spring".  If only I had the power. Ipad shuffled to Oaktown 3-5-7, "Juicy Gotcha Krazy".  Yes, I already told you, I like old school rap.  No hating, please.  Oaktown 3-5-7 was a female rap group under MC Hammer's machine.  I think they were underrated. I guess it was at the time of east coast vs west coast nonsense.  I submit that Oaktown predates Salt n Peppa.  Of course Salt n Peppa weren't as rough around the edges.  Oaktown did smooth out...some...eventually. Lol

Ok. I'm in the hospital on Election Day, Tuesday  November 6, 2012.  Lets backtrack about 5-6 weeks.  As we're being bombarded by political ads, I tell Brian that I didn't think I'd be able to withstand the physical voting process.  Moving hurt and tired me out and the voting location had stairs ;(  .  If the scant handicapped spaces were full, and they would be, I'd have to walk to the church and then climb the stairs. And wait in line. And stand to vote an impossibly long ballot.  I got tired thinking about it.  The next day we went to get our absentee ballots. "Tennessee", Arrested Development". Good songs, good lyrics.  Dionne Farris - love her voice. 

Also during this time I was planning to make reservations to spend Christmas in Vegas with my parents.  I kept procrastinating.  I was feeling worse and worse everyday.  Some days I did think I was dying. I just didn't tell anyone. (Note to Carmen..I wasn't blowing you off I really wasn't feeling too well. Let's try again :)   ).  I didn't think I'd  have enough energy to make the trip. Heh. I was right on all counts :(

Back to Election Day ..  A hospital wakes up around 6am. The early wave of doctors come sauntering in, the nurses start taking the vitals, and lights get turned on.  Ms Mattie's doctor was an early guy.  He'd ask her questions. She never answered.  I am not clear if she even understood. If she made any sounds, it would be whimpers or the occasions plea to God to be taken.

The staff was excited about Election Day. And of course some were quite vocal on who they wanted to win.  The interesting thing is I was asked multiple times if I had voted.  Apparently I'd been able to cast a ballot while in the hospital.  Provisions were made for those of us who found ourselves unexpectedly incapacitated on Election Day. Who knew?  The day was fairly uneventful.  My primary care physician found me.  He had his gaggle of residents/interns.  My personal resident, Dr Kim came to visit me.  And I finally met my nephrologist.  Boy he had a reputation. Many people told me he'd be my nephrologist.  I was just waiting to meet him. He was and is a kind and a delightful man.  And a character.  I am trending doctors who are characters..makes visits entertaining. :-D  Anyway, he went over my progress.  The creatinine was slowly rising.  That meant the kidneys were pretty much damaged. Damn. I was going to have to go to dialysis the next day. He asked who brought me to the hospital.  I told him the circumstances and that my husband called 911. He said you need to thank  your husband.  If he had waited 2 more hours I'd be dead.  (!!!!!!!!!!). Well damn. I knew I was ill, but I suppose you never think you are 2 hours off from death.  

"Work to Do", The Isley Brothers.  Did you like Ernie Isley on guitar?  Do you know who he learned a lot of his technique from? I have a grape Jolly Rancher for you if you know.  I know I was surprised when I first found out, but then it made sense.

Later on that evening, visitors are gone, the hospital is quieting down, lights are down, and televisions are on election returns.  (I couldn't watch Fox).  Well apparently I blinked and the election was over...lol. The hospital erupted. If you weren't awake, you were now.  Lol. Who made the noise?  The staff of course..lol. We celebrated for about 45 minutes then life went on.

 Signing off with "The Look of Love", Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66.  I liked them when I was a kid.  Imagine my surprise and delight when my kid "discovered" them. :)

2 comments:

  1. Keep em coming, kid. I really look forward to your blogs. Your style always makes me feel like I'm right there. Thank you. For those blessed with good health, they shoul NEVER take it for granted. Unfortunately, I think most people do until it's gone. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, some,days I have pity parties, but then the alternative, at this time, to having chronic kidney disease, is not being here at all. That being said, I am delighted to be here and sharing my little tale!

    ReplyDelete