Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, March 8, 2013

The "I Heard Birds Chirping This Morning", edition.

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis, the "I Heard Birds Chirping this Morning" edition.  iPod shuffled to "Stay in My Corner", The Dells.  Who can hold a note that, long?  Admit it, when the song comes on in the privacy of your car, you try to hold that forever note lol.

I wake up Sunday, breakfast comes.  I tried a dry turkey sausage still tasted pretty bad lol. The roaming dialysis guy, Noel, comes in with his dialysis machine.  Now even though I had dialysis Friday night, I have no memory of it, so as far as I am concerned this is the first time I have seen the machine.  I ask questions..does it hurt?  No. How long?  3 hours.  What does it do?  Clean the toxins out your body viathe blood, hence HEMOdialysis.. How does it work?  This tube moves out the blood with toxins in it.  That tube returns clean blood back into your body.  I ask about my new groin appendages as he hooks me up to the dialysis machine.  This is a temporary access point.  "The Groove Line", Heat Wave.  Nice baseline. :)

After I'm hooked up, Noel asks if I am cold, I am not.  Heh about 15 minutes later I am freezing.  That happens when the blood is returned to your body.  Yes the blood goes out, gets cleaned and is returned.  The cold comes on the return trip. The temperature of the blood can be adjusted.  Anyway Noel bundled me up like a mummy.  Lol.  I stayed that way for about 2 hours then I started to fry.  However I was bundled up so tight that it was difficult to get out of there.  Lol. "White Lines", the other song by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five..lol. The other side of "The Message"?

After the three hours were up, here comes Dr McDonald and school is in session again.  The good news is after the first dialysis, my creatinine number dropped from 13 to 4.  Yay!!!!  The bad news is they still didn't know what caused the  to kidneys fail.  There is a chance that the damage to my kidneys is not permanent.  I also ask questions to Dr McDonald and the class and they answer. :). DrMcDonald then says something that takes me aback. He says to the class that she is someone who we should focus our efforts on.  My takeaway was that there are some patietnts that don't get the level of  care and effort I was given.  That was a bit disconcerting.  I was glad that I passed the test????

Signing of with, "I Never Loved a Man", Aretha Franklin.  She sang Amazing Grace , accapella,  at a funeral I attended.  No microphone needed in the cathedral.  She is amazing.




2 comments: