Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, March 11, 2013

The "Why Did I Wake Up 10 Minutes Before My Alarm Went Off", edition.

Pat's Adventures in Dialysis, the "Why Did I Wake up 10 Minutes Before my Alarm Went Off", edition.  iPod shuffled to "Andalucia(Suite Espanola)", Ernesto Lecuona (piano).  One of  my piano recital songs from back in the day.  Piano lessons for 12 years.  My teacher had to have nerves of steel  lol.  I played pretty ok after a LOT of practice.  Never played again after I graduated from high school.  Still love  and appreciate music, but I don't have to play an instrument.

My third night in ICU I left the tv on all night.  I was feeling better, but I was not trying to have another vivid dream - lol.  Backtracking a bit on my ICU nights..I was hooked up to machines and monitors so moving was an issue, but I was also pretty weak.  I woke up thirsty. I couldn't reach the cup of water. I couldn't even reach the call button. "Door to Your Heart", The Dramatics. <3. I crank up the volume, I can't help it.  I tried calling for a nurse, but my voice was also weak.  I uttered some kind of feeble croak.  I did get better each night. And yeah, I had to wait for a nurse to eventually show up.

Monday morning brought Dr McDonald alone and then later on the class.  He told me I was being moved out of ICU and I'd be observed and monitored.  The creatinine level wasn't as low and stable as they would like.  I was delighted to get out of ICU, although I was pretty sure I would miss my cadre of private nurses.  "Babylon Sisters", Steely Dan.  Lol. No one can wail on a note like Donald Fagen.  I didn't realize I wouldn't see Dr McDonald, Dr "Call me Nat" Battinger, or my very own class of residents again.  Well at least that class ;-O

While I'm waiting for the move. In comes Chuck.  Who's Chuck you say?  He's the guy carting around a cane and a walker.  Some kind intern/resident/doctor ordered physical therapy for me.  Well it made sense.  I hadn't been out of bed since before I arrived at the hospital and for a few days prior.  Heck. I cold barely move in the weeks preceding my visit to the hospital.  After a short conversation he decides I need a walker.  He is correct.  He made sure I had those hospital socks on..I did.  He gets a second gown to cover my backside...I didn't care, I have no modesty. :). He helps me out of bed and I walk very gingerly with the walker.  It was hard and scary.  Even though I was feeling much much better, I had a very long way to go.  After the session I asked if he could come tomorrow after I've moved and work with me some more.  He said he wasn't sure if there would be a request, but he
would see what he could do.  The kidney failure had rendered me so very weak.  Getting out a chair was a major accomplishment.


Not long after he left, the orderly came to move me.  All I had was a plastic bag of stuff the hospital gives patients and my eyeglasses.  I was in the new room by 11am Monday, November 5,  2012 Signing of with "Trying to Make a Fool of Me", The Delphonics. Real singers, real instruments, good arrangements. I sound like a curmudgeon. Lol

1 comment:

  1. WOW Pat - U R a REAL TROOPER!!! The best of attitudes! I love the way U handle your situation- soooo positive!! Keep it up!
    bro-boog

    ReplyDelete